EmbezzlementResults-Driven Strategies to Protect Your Rights
Fairfield Embezzlement Attorney
Defending Against Embezzlement Charges in California
Embezzlement is considered a serious crime that can lead to severe penalties, including imprisonment, fines, and restitution. If you have been charged with embezzlement, you must take prompt action to protect your rights and future. At The Maher Law Group, APC, our Fairfield embezzlement lawyers are committed to providing aggressive, personalized legal representation to individuals facing criminal charges. We understand the gravity of the situation you are in and are prepared to fight for you every step of the way.
Call The Maher Law Group, APC, today at (888) 744-3057 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our Fairfield embezzlement lawyer.
What is Embezzlement?
Embezzlement involves the misappropriation or theft of funds or property entrusted to an individual's care or management. This crime typically occurs when someone in a position of trust, like an employee or officer of an organization, fraudulently misuses these assets for personal gain. Embezzlement cases can range from small-scale incidents to complex financial schemes, with various factors determining the severity of the offense.
Embezzlement often involves fraudulent activities such as:
- Skimming: Diverting a portion of funds before they are recorded.
- Billing Schemes: Submitting fraudulent invoices or bills.
- Cash Larceny: Stealing cash directly from a company's cash registers or safes.
- Check Forgery: Altering or forging checks to access funds.
- Asset Misappropriation: Unauthorized use of company assets for personal benefit.
What are the Penalties for Embezzlement in California?
In California, embezzlement is a serious offense, and penalties can vary depending on the value of the misappropriated property and the case circumstances. The potential consequences for embezzlement may include:
- Misdemeanor Embezzlement: For cases involving property valued at less than $950, an individual may face up to six months in county jail and fines of up to $1,000.
- Felony Embezzlement: When the value of the embezzled property exceeds $950, the offense is considered a felony. Penalties may include incarceration in state prison for up to three years and substantial fines. Additionally, a felony conviction can have lasting consequences on an individual's personal and professional life.
Defenses Against Embezzlement Charges
Some common defenses against embezzlement charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: Proving that you had no intention to commit embezzlement can be a strong defense. Perhaps you made an innocent mistake or were unaware of the situation's true nature.
- Duress: If you were forced or coerced into committing embezzlement under threat, you may be able to argue that you had no choice.
- Ownership Rights: Demonstrating that you had a legitimate ownership interest in the property in question can serve as a defense.
- Mistaken Identity: In some cases, individuals are falsely accused due to mistaken identity. We can help establish that you were not responsible for the alleged embezzlement.
- Procedural Errors: Ensuring that law enforcement followed proper procedures during the investigation and arrest is vital. Any deviations from protocol may result in a dismissal of charges.
- Insufficient Evidence: Challenging the prosecution's evidence and arguments can be a powerful defense strategy. We can meticulously examine the evidence against you to identify weaknesses in the case.
Contact Our Embezzlement Lawyer in Fairfield Today
If you or someone you care about is facing embezzlement charges in California, don't hesitate to contact The Maher Law Group, APC. Our Fairfield embezzlement attorneys are ready to provide you with the legal guidance and support you need during this challenging time. We will work tirelessly to build a strong defense, protect your rights, and strive for the best possible outcome in your case. Your future and your reputation deserve nothing less than top-notch legal representation.
Contact The Maher Law Group, APC, today to get started with our Fairfield embezzlement attorney.